Here we will talk about some amazing and interesting facts about Hong Kong. You will surely amazed after reading all the interesting facts about Hong Kong.
10 Interesting facts about Hong Kong
- Hong Kong, a term derived from the two Chinese characters heung and gong (Cantonese transcription), literally means “Port aux Parfums”.
- More than 7 million people occupy the small territory of Hong Kong, the metropolis is also one of the most densely populated areas of the world.
- Numerology governs the daily life of Hong Kong Chinese. The lucky numbers are 2, 3, 6, 8 and 9 while the numbers 1, 4 and 7 are avoided like the plague.
- The Tsing Ma Bridge, which travelers cross after their arrival at the airport, is the largest suspension bridge in the world to have a level for road traffic and a level for rail traffic.
- There are more skyscrapers in Hong Kong than in any other city in the world. The city has more than 8000 towers over 14 floors, almost twice as much as New York.
- Seven out of ten people use the bus in Hong Kong while 35% of Hong Kongers use the taxi every week.
- In Hong Kong, we drive on the left, unlike mainland China where we drive on the right.
- The English playwright Noël Coward is the author of the phrase “Only crazy dogs and English come out under the midday sun”. He referred to the shooting of the Noonday Gun, a cannon at Causeway Bay that has been ringing every day at noon since the times of the British colony.
- About 140,000 foreigners work as domestic servants in Hong Kong. On Sunday, which is their day off, they gather en masse in the parks of Central Park and Victoria Park.
- The men’s room at the Felix restaurant, which is on the top floor of the Peninsula Hotel, is very stylish with urinals, gentlemen have a panoramic view of Kowloon.