Today we will tell you today is national what day. March 21 was proclaimed World Poetry Day by the General Conference of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization at its 30th session in Paris in October and November 1999.
The purpose of this day is to encourage the reading, writing, publishing and teaching of poetry throughout the world and to “give new recognition and impetus to national, regional and international poetic movements”
World Poetry Day March 21
“At a time when poetry is in full expansion, this Day could serve as a framework for actions and efforts that are made at different levels to support poetry, and more specifically to promote:
- The efforts of the small publishers who attack the book market, publishing more and more collections of young poets
- The return to morality, or rather live performance, because today the poetry recitals are attracting more and more people
- The restoration of the dialogue between poetry and other arts such as theater, dance, music, but also painting, etc., and with current topics such as the culture of peace, non-violence, tolerance, etc.
- The association, on the occasion of World Poetry Day, of all the arts as well as the philosophy which is also very close to it, so that a meaning can be given back to the word of Delacroix who wrote in his Journal ” There is no art without poetry “
- The image of poetry in the media so that poetic art is no longer considered as an art that has fallen into disuse but as an art that allows society as a whole to find and assert its identity
- Report on World Poetry Day 2000
- Conclusion of the debate on the coordination of poetic institutions around the world
- Conclusion of the debate on the preparation of World Poetry Day in 2001 as part of the Cultural Olympiad of Delphi “
Message from the Director-General of UNESCO on the occasion of World Poetry Day – 21 March 2003